Most Engineering students aspire to take up higher studies in ME. /M. Tech fields from IITs or get into some prestigious institutes within the country or abroad. Many also opt for PSU jobs, offering pretty lucrative pay packages with free medical insurance or retirement benefits. All these students will have to apply for the GATE exams to continue with their higher education or career with PSUs.
To apply for the GATE exams, candidates will have to meet the required criteria. Now, for the convenience of students who have no idea about what is GATE exam, we have collected some information about GATE in this article here. Candidates can check for basic information in this article here.
All About GATE Exam
GATE or the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is one of the most reputed examinations in India for candidates aiming to secure a job in PSU’s and Govt. sectors or who wish to pursue higher education in the premier institutes such as IIT’s/NIT’s/IISc etc. It comprises 29 disciplines or subjects as of 2022, and the candidates can go for any depending on their niche or desire. The GATE exam scores are ideally valid for three years from when the results are officially announced. For PSUs, however, the score validity is only for a year. However, educational institutions can decide if they want a recent score.
GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria
Meanwhile, check out the eligibility criteria for GATE exams from here:
- There is no age limit.
- Candidates have to be citizens of India. However, other nationality candidates can also apply for GATE in case they meet the expected eligibility criteria.
- There is no minimum pass percentage required for the qualifying degree.
- Academic Qualification –
- According to GATE 2022 eligibility criteria, candidates in their third year of a UG degree will be eligible for the GATE exam. Also, with the addition of Humanities and Social Science, now Non-Science graduates from Arts and Commerce background are also eligible to apply for GATE.
- A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program.
- A candidate who has already completed any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible for appearing in the GATE 2022 exam.
- However, the candidates who possess certification from any of the professional societies must ensure that those examinations conducted by the societies are approved by MoE/AICTE/UGC/UPSC as equivalent to B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Arch. / B.Planning, and more.
- Candidates who have obtained / are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India: Must be currently in the 3rd or higher years or completed their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 3 years) in Engineering / Technology / Science / Arts / Commerce.
Apply for GATE Exams
Meanwhile, candidates can also access the application form of the GATE Exam for the current year in online mode after it goes live on the portal. The registration for GATE will be made available via the GATE Online Application Process (GOAPS). In order to appear for the examination, the candidates are required to register for GATE, enter the required personal, contact, and academic details, upload scanned documents, and also pay the specified application fee. Candidates will have to submit the application form before the date specified, with or without the late fee as applicable. Candidates can also easily access the admit cards when it goes live on the official website.
Cracking GATE Exams
Meanwhile, cracking this national level entrance exam requires hard work. All candidates are required to follow specific tips to ace the exam. They are also advised to refer to a wide range of study materials or reference documents such as the syllabi, textbooks, mock tests, notes or the GATE previous year question paper to prepare more efficiently.
One thing that these candidates have to realize is that overdoing things will not help. They need to have a proper study plan in place, prioritizing topics for the selected papers as per the syllabus, topics weightage marks distribution and their knowledge gap. Quick revisions with breaks as required is also the key to preparing well for the exams and scoring good marks.